Monday

Very big and very quiet


Did I ever mention that I used to be a poet? I began at the (not quite so tender) age of 8 but gave it all up at the (really rather awful) age of  14. Well, I've come out of retirement as of about 5 hours ago.

I called this one: "Very big and very quiet" because that's how starts :)

Very big and very quiet, in the park.
His two eyes carefully covered,
Sunglasses like
Two enormous teardrops.
I sit in his lap because
I am small - though not very.
I compare our hands.
Sniff at tobacco in his shiny black beard.
I peer into the teardrops.
My breath fogs the glass
But I see myself,
Big like him!
Then he moves,
And I am smaller than ever,
I wave goodbye because
I am very far away.

Do you write poetry? Do you have any favourite poets that I should read?

4 comments:

  1. So glad you have come out of retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not write poetry. But I used to when I was a teenager...so much angst. ;)

    I may try again some day...

    I don't really have any favorites. I like to read whatever poems Jonathan Carroll posts on his blog, he always picks good stuff. And it takes out all the guess work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write Haiku's for my fantasies. I like Robert Frost as in this part of his verse from "Two Tramps In Mud" :

    "Only where love and need are one,
    And the work is play for mortal stakes,
    Is the deed ever really done."

    Then, there is this excerpt from "Once By The Pacific" :

    "The clouds were low and hairy in the skies,
    Like locks blown forward in the gleam of eyes.
    You could not tell, and yet it looked as if
    The shore was lucky in being backed by cliff,
    The cliff in being backed by continent;
    It looked as if a night of dark intent
    Was coming, and not only a night, an age.
    Someone had better be prepared for rage.
    There would be more than ocean-water broken
    Before God's last Put out the Light was spoken."

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment. My muse has been bruised of late. I have just finished my final revision of RITES OF PASSAGE.

    Oh, and my haiku from that fantasy is :

    Dreams drift like clouds,
    I reach to touch the moon,
    I grasp but empty night.

    Thanks for stopping by, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks J. Kaye.

    Hannah, I checked out Jonathan Carroll's blog, thanks!

    Hey Roland, I'm trying Tanka at the moment, I'm going to give Haiku a go soon. Thanks for sharing your poetry!

    ReplyDelete